Simplyfinance.co.uk values the right of our community members to express themselves openly, but asks that all communication that takes place through the Answers service or elsewhere on the site is civil, lawful and respectful to other users.
10 Tips for getting the most out of Simply Finance Answers
1. Be a proactive, respectful community member
Keep your contributions informative and steer clear of attacking another post or member. Also, respect the rights of others to have different opinions to you. The Answers community should be seen as a helpful and supportive environment. If you see a great answer, please click on the 'Helpful' button underneath to endorse it.
Likewise, if you see any contribution that you believe abuses our community guidelines, please tell us about it by clicking on the 'Report Abuse' link. We expect all community interaction to be carried out in good faith, so please only use the 'Report Abuse' feature when there is a genuine likelihood that the content in question is against our guidelines. As we can't moderate absolutely every contribution to the service, this is the best way of ensuring that we can do something about it.
2. Keep your posts of a high quality
Make sure that when you post a question, an answer or a comment on the Answers platform that you are clear and concise in your language. This is the best way to receive a helpful answer to your question or to provide genuine help to a question asker. Correct spelling and grammar will help people to find your questions and ensure that people know exactly what you are asking, meaning that you will have a better experience on the site.
Try and avoid lengthy answers, unless a large quantity of content is required to explain your point. The main goal is to use your expertise to communicate something helpful to the community, so make sure your posts are informative and as objective as possible. If you are referring to other online resources in your answer, make sure to cite the source of the reference. This makes your answer or comment more useful to the community and ensures that credit is given to helpful sources elsewhere on the Internet.
3. Categorise correctly
When you are asking a question, make sure you are placing it within the correct category. This will result in more people reading your question who are able to help you, and therefore more relevant answers and comments.
4. Exercise caution when reading the posts
Although it is assumed that all parties using the service do so in good faith and with the intention of assisting other community members, the information provided in the service may be time-sensitive, and this may impact on both the relevance and on the accuracy of the information. Furthermore, we ask that you bear in mind that the information provided as an answer to a particular question may contain guidance that is specific to the financial circumstances of the question asker.
Although this service is made available for communal benefit, it is important to remember that sometimes messages are posted that are misleading, deceptive, or otherwise inaccurate. You should not therefore rely on information being accurate or complete. If you do, you do so at your own risk. Please note that any posting of information on the service is the opinion of the person posting only and in no way reflects our opinions or attitudes.
Make use of the 'Helpful' ratings that you will find next to each post - if an answer or comment has attracted a number of helpful rankings, this is indicative of a quality post. If you would like to know more about any of the community users, you can simply click on their username to visit their profile page. You can also find additional information about any of the financial advisors featuring on the platform on the FSA Register.
4. Use the site for research purposes, not for formal financial advice
SimplyFinance does not guarantee the accuracy or veracity of any question or answer posted on our Answers service. Furthermore nothing within this website is, or shall be deemed to constitute financial or other advice or a recommendation to purchase any product or service. The service is provided for general information purposes only and with the understanding that Simplyfinance.co.uk is not engaged in the provision of any financial, legal or other professional service.
The responsibility for making financial decisions rests entirely with you, and as such you should not rely on the information you find here to inform your decisions; rather, use it as a starting point for doing your own independent research. We strongly recommend that independent professional advice is sought before you purchase any product and/or service via our website or as a result of information you have seen on the site.
5. Stay on topic
If you're answering a question or posting a comment about a question, your content needs to be specific to the question under discussion. If you have an additional question that moves the discussion in a different direction, please ask a new question in the community.
6. Exercise caution when revealing personal information to other community members
We advise you to think very carefully before posting or uploading any personally identifiable information about you on this website.
8. Respect other people's information
9. Respect Copyright
10. No advertising or solicitation
It is against our rules to advertise or solicit for business anywhere on the site without our permission. This rule is strictly enforced, and if violated, may result in the cancellation of your membership.
Solicitation includes, but is not limited to:
* requests to be emailed when no prior correspondence has taken place
* posting phone numbers for your business outside of the designated profile page space, when no contact details have been requested
* posting one's own website address, especially if that site has a substantial commercial element to it, outside of the designated profile page space, when no contact details have been requested
Conduct in the Answers Community
When submitting content or otherwise communicating on SimplyFinance.co.uk, you agree to use the service for lawful purposes only. You may not use, or allow others to use your SimplyFinance.co.uk account to:
* post or transmit any content that is abusive, vulgar, obscene, hateful, fraudulent, unlawful, threatening, harassing, or defamatory or which discloses private or personal matters concerning any person
* post or transmit any material that you do not have a right to transmit under law (such as copyright, trade secret or securities) or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (as in nondisclosure agreements)
* post, transmit, or link to sexually explicit material
* impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with anyone or entity
* post or transmit statements that are intentionally false or misleading, or use such statements to manipulate the market for any security
* Send any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising, promotional materials, 'junk mail', 'spam', 'chain letters' or any other form of such solicitation
* offer, sell, or buy any security
* intentionally violate the laws, rules and regulations of the Financial Services Authority and the national or other securities exchanges
* intentionally violate any other applicable law or regulation while accessing and using our site;
* collect or store personal data about other site users
* post links to alternative community groups or forums except with our prior written consent
* Upload, post, transmit, distribute, share, store or otherwise make publicly available any personal information of any other person including names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses.
* post or transmit any file that contains viruses, corrupted files, 'Trojan Horses', or any other contaminating or destructive features that may damage someone else's computer or attempt to gain unauthorised access to our site. By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our site will cease immediately.
As we cannot review all communications by our site users, we rely on you to inform us if you spot any abuse or inappropriate behaviour, in which case we will review specific postings. If you feel you have been threatened, damaged or abused via the service please use the 'report abuse' button displayed at the bottom of every message. If you believe any infringement of your rights may have occurred elsewhere on the site please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We reserve the right (but we are not obliged) to monitor any information transmitted or received through our service. Simplyfinance.co.uk, at our sole discretion and without prior notice, may at any time review, remove, or otherwise block any post or terminate your membership for violating the above provisions.
Last updated: 11/10/2010